468x60 Ads

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Skiathos: A Greek Trip to Remember

My favorite vacation ever has to be my trip to the Greek island on Skiathos in the summer of 2007. It was the most amazing trip ever! I got the opportunity to take this vacation after meeting my good friend David Gerogiorgis in 2006. After becoming good friends, he told me that he take one of his good friends to this island every summer because he has a house on it.  I obviously accepted his offer and I was not disappointed. It was the first time I had ever been oversees and I was there for three weeks so I got to experience the culture. It was different, yes, but sometimes different is good.

When we got over there I was immediately thrown a 180 when we explored Athens, Greece. It was amazing, not the traditional city you and I and used to but different. The city expands for forever and there are no skyscrapers, it is built out not up. You can find dogs roaming the streets and music playing everywhere. From atop the acropolis, the view was amazing. In all directions there was city as far as the eye could see, it was great! However, Athens was not the feature of my vacation; so we only spent one day there. This was just enough to get to know the culture of mainland Greece.



When I arrived on the island I was amazed. There were beautiful women, little outdoor restaurants, and all the buildings were white and blue. The first thing i ate there was pure ecstasy. Now, I am from Philadelphia and will defend the cheese steak, but there is nothing better than a Greek gyro. It is lamb that is shaved right off the roast in front of you onto a pita topped with lettuce, tomato, fries, and tzatziki sauce. It simply was the best tasting food ever and I took full advantage of it, eating about 4-5 a day. The food wasn’t even the best part of it, it was spending time with my friend and his family in his house or going to one of the many beautiful beaches that we went to daily. The beaches were amazing, not a strong tide and crystal clear water. It seemed like there was nothing on the bottom of the ocean that you could step on and you could swim out as far as you wanted. My friend and I would swim hundreds of feet out and dive down to the 20+ feet seafloor and see what we could find. The weather was perfect everyday and there was no humidity at all. Whether it was exploring underwater caves or eating Gyros, every single part of this trip was amazing. If you ever get the chance to go to the Greek islands, GO! Moreover, if you ever get the chance to experience someone else’s culture, GO! It was worth every penny and I will cherish the memories that I experienced over there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment